I've recently gotten back into running this Summer I had done the coolrunning Couch to 5k program a few years ago when I was losing weight on Weight Watchers and I found that I LIKED running, I know, who could believe that right? So the first 5k I did this Summer was a challenge my WW Birds of a Feather friends and myself challenged ourselves to do. It was the Mascoutah Meltdown on July 4th to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes foundation. It was a great event organized by Brandy Pickell and all her helpers. BUT it was a horrible day weatherwise, pouring rain, I mean buckets of rain, thunder lightening the whole bit. I nearly turned around and went home.

BUT I DIDN'T I finished the race with a new friend Laurie who turned out to be a fellow WW Lifetimer. I also won a great attendance prize.
When I got home and went through my bag o' goodies from the race I saw a flyer that grabbed my attention. It was a flyer for Team Challenge, a group that TRAINS you to run/walk a half marathon, TRAINS you!!! AND in turn you raise $$$$ for the Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA)
Hmmmmmm I could get professional training to run a half marathon, I could travel to Las Vegas on Dec 6th to run in the Las Vegas Rock N Roll Half Marathon. But most of all I COULD do something positive to help raise money for a great cause.
I have Ulcerative Colitis, have had for years, used to think I just had a wonky belly, you know runs in the family kinda thing. Sister has IBS, Dad always said he couldn't lace up his football britches till last minute just in case he had to make a dash for the restroom before game time. I always had nervous belly problems had to watch what I ate, scoped out the location of every public restroom EVERYWHERE, had numerous "near misses" and some out and out embarassing moments. Finally I got to Dr Feldman who did a colonoscopy and diagnosed me with UC. I was shocked when he told me I have a DISEASE an INCURABLE autoimmune disease. I was put on medication that I take daily, twelve pills daily, and as long as I take my meds I stay pretty much in remission with few flares. But I'm still at increased risk for colon cancer from the ulcers in my colon.
I'm going to use my blog to journal my experience with Team Challenge. I hope you'll follow me and comment and encourage!


No comments:
Post a Comment